Nuclear security is one of the most pressing challenges of our time.
The Nuclear Security Working Group (NSWG) promotes bipartisan discourse on critical nuclear security issues, ranging from 21st century nuclear deterrence to pragmatic nuclear diplomacy and preventing the spread of nuclear weapons.
The NSWG is:
non-partisanEnsuring that the discussion of issues remains free of political affiliation and influence.
interdisciplinaryWith leadership comprised of senior government foreign policy experts, active and retired military officials, and leading national security scholars.
a wide-ranging networkConnecting highly-respected experts and practitioners with experience serving both Democrat and Republican administrations and Congressional offices.
The NSWG holds frequent private meetings in a not-for-attribution setting. We create a forum for the nation’s leading experts to share information and perspectives and arrive at a stronger consensus on pragmatic responses to nuclear and national security challenges.
NSWG members have deep professional ties to Congress and the Executive Branch. We focus on bridging the partisan divide, promoting dialogue on pragmatic nuclear security policies in the national interest.
NSWG’s work is made possible by generous support from the Carnegie Corporation of New York and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
- Lt. General Weinstein, USAF (Ret.)
- Lt. General Frank Klotz, USAF (Ret.)
- The Honorable Franklin Miller
- The Hon. Frank Miller
- Dr. Jane Vaynman
- Dr. Jeffrey Lewis Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
- Dr. Scott Sagan Stanford University
- Ambassador Kathleen Stephensformer US Ambassador to South Korea
- Dr. Gi-Wook ShinStanford University
- Dr. Tong ZhaoCarnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy
- Seth GraeCEO, Lightbridge Corp.
- Thomas CountrymanFormer Assistant Sec. of State for International Security and Nonproliferation
- Gen. C. Robert Kehler Former Commander, U.S. Strategic Command
Past speakers include:
- Hon. Franklin Miller
- Hon. Dov Zakheim
Fmr. Under Sec. of Defense
- Hon. Elbridge Colby
Dep. Asst. Sec. of Defense
- Hon. Mark Fitzpatrick
- Dr. Shai Feldman
- Dr. Barry Posen
Security Studies Program, MIT